booting FAI kernel with initrd

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Sat Jan 6 13:46:51 CET 2007

On 1/6/07, Michael Tautschnig <tautschn at model.in.tum.de> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > On a machine running a stock Debian kernel 2.6.18 (with etch)
> > edit /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
> > and change to these lines
> >
> > MODULES=netboot
> > BOOT=nfs
> >
> I doubt that you really need these, actually I did not change my initramfs.conf
> and it still works.

Right, that seems to work. The root=/dev/nfs seems most important.

> Actually one shouldn't need the additional nfsroot=..., if it is already
> provided by DHCP; however some versions of initramfs-tools seem to be buggy (and
> I don't know whether it got fixed already) and fail to parse the DHCP results.

Right, I fail to get an installation started when not having nfsroot
set on kernelk command line.
So my orginal question, if/how this can be done with getting the
nfsroot location via dhcp seems not yet solved....
In most situations it's enough to set it on the kernel command line,
but it's not 100% compatible to the strategy of putting these features
in the Kernel.

Henning