Strange error w/ fai-mirror

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Wed Feb 7 18:17:42 CET 2007

Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> [snip]
>>

> Hmm, for the fix: It probably suffices to choose different mirror directories
> rather than different machines, but that's up to you.

Well, its funny you mention that.  I do have two different mirror
directories.  I have a /srv/fai/mirror and a /srv/fai/mirror64.  I'm
honestly not sure how /srv/fai/mirror ended up containing both arches in
it.  Before when i had done things, I had noticed that various fai
scripts would detect my architecture and download accordingly.  For
example, I can't make an nfsroot for a 32bit machine on the 64 bit
machine, at least I don't know how.  What I had tried this time was to
fake it out using debian's linux32 package and running the command:

#>linux32 fai-mirror /srv/fai/mirror

Where /srv/fai/mirror is a completely empty directory (i run an rm -rf
/srv/fai/mirror/* before hand).  Granted my package_config/DEFAULT
contains packages for both i386 and amd64, I assumed (or hoped) that it
would detect the architecture and build the appropriate mirror.  It
appears to have attempted to build mirrors for both archs and then
failed right at the end, but I haven't read into the script enough to
really understand what's going on, which would be my next step.

> To really fix it please file a bug with the Debian BTS to get this issue solved
> as soon as possible, it probably doesn't even take too much effort.

For this bug I would report that fai-mirror fails when detecting two
archs in a mirror?  That seems like one bug (i.e. better error
message).  I also think I'm going to read into this a little more (when
i have time) to see if I can figure out why fai-mirror is populating
/srv/fai/mirror with more than one arch or would that type of
investigation be generally discouraged? (I'm a bit new to open source
and contributing to projects, but would like to help more if i could)

Thanks for your help,

Carl

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall