Define FAI_CONFIG_SRC from dhcp info

Tue Feb 6 23:52:13 CET 2007

    > My FAI server (version 3.1.6 for Etch) is connected to several networks,
    > and has a different name on each network.
    > I have configured the DHCP server so that it sends the appropriate name
    > on each interface, and would like to do the same thing for the
    > FAI_CONFIG_SRC variable : I'm looking for an FAI variable which would be
    > set using the "server-name" dhcp variable, and could be used as the NFS
    > server in FAI_CONFIG_SRC.
Have a look at dhclient-perl. There you see that the DHCP vendor
option 170 are mapped to FAI_CONFIG_SRC.

  option_170              FAI_CONFIG_SRC

So you should use this in dhcpd.conf
  option option-170 "nfs://faiserver/usr/local/share/fai";  # FAI_CONFIG_SRC
But I never tested this.

    > if there's a another way to
    > dynamically set FAI_CONFIG_SRC?
Another trick would be to write some shell code into fai.conf inside the
nfsroot. This file is sourced and defines FAI_CONFIG_SRC. So you could
write some code that sets this variable depending on your network
environment.

But if the DHCP thing work, I guess that's the best solution for you.

BTW. Maybe you like to update your FAI questionnaire from 2004 and
sent it back to me.