AW: Problems with FAI installation from USB DVD drive

christoph.schulthess at post.ch christoph.schulthess at post.ch
Tue Feb 6 11:12:26 CET 2007

At the moment ca. 100 desktop pc's and notebooks. The problem in our
company is that micros*** is the primary operating system.
Actually users can only use desktop pc's or notebook with linux, when
they need MS software only for mailing.
So it's our aim, that we can show to our bosses: linux works quite
better than windows, also for the daily business. And MS might be death
in a few years here :)

>     > Now I wanna reach the FAI support for Dell Latitude D420. It's a
>     > subnotebook.
>     > The problem is now, this model doesn't have a CD or DVD
> drive build-in.
>     > There's only a DVD drive aviable which can be connectet
> with USB.
>
>     > I can boot from my FAI CD
> Is this a FAI CD created with the fai-cd command or using
> make-fai-bootfloppy and put that image onto a CD?
Our FAI CD is created with the fai-cd command.

> I think you are using the fai-cd command. But a better
> approach is to build a boot floppy image and put this onto a
> CD. Then you can boot the fai kernel from CD, but you will
> get the NFSROOT and config space via NFS. I hope you are
> allowed to use NFS in your enironment ;-)
Sadly no... We're not allowed to use NFS in our environment. :(