Problems with FAI installation from USB DVD drive

Fri Feb 2 17:59:39 CET 2007

    > In our company, we're installing all our linux systems (debian sarge)
    > with FAI.
Nice. How many? Have you filled out the FAI questionnaire?
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/questionnaire

    > Now I wanna reach the FAI support for Dell Latitude D420. It's a
    > subnotebook.
    > The problem is now, this model doesn't have a CD or DVD drive build-in.
    > There's only a DVD drive aviable which can be connectet with USB.

    > I can boot from my FAI CD
Is this a FAI CD created with the fai-cd command or using
make-fai-bootfloppy and put that image onto a CD?

I think you are using the fai-cd command. But a better approach is to
build a boot floppy image and put this onto a CD. Then you can boot
the fai kernel from CD, but you will get the NFSROOT and config space
via NFS. I hope you are allowed to use NFS in your enironment ;-)