dhcpclient on diskless installation system

Volker Epting volker.epting at ise.fraunhofer.de
Tue Dec 11 16:05:16 CET 2007

Hi,

I have problems during the installation process with my diskless fai
system. dhcp lease time ends after 30 minutes (15 minutes lease time +
grace period) and some clients are too slow to end installation in this
time. So our dhcp-dns server deletes the host from dns service, in which
case the communication between the nfsroot-server and the installation
client fails and the installation system freezes.

Increasing the dhcp lease time is not an option.

So I guess I need a working dhcpclient on the diskless installation
system that renews the dhcp lease.

After a short discussion with mrfai (thanks a lot) I modified the
nfsroot so that the initially called dhcpclient is not killed and can
now renew the lease. For this I modified
$NFSROOT/usr/lib/fai/get-boot-info at stanza get_dhcp_info. I commented
out the "killall dhclient".

Unfortunately that does not solve my problem at all. The dhclient works
and in some cases the installation works without any problems, whereas
in some cases the computer simply freezes.

This is absolutely sporadic: the test machine fails to install three
times consecutively, whereas at another time installation runs smoothly.
I'm on the wire with our fluke box and I do not see any errors on the
network. Also the installation server doesn't show me any errors.

I configured the syslog to log to the clients' console on the client,
and still: no errors. not funny, but real.

I think of changing our concept to install only a minimal system on the
client, reboot and continue the installation with fai software update
service. What do you think about that?

Thanks for help
best reguards,
Volker Epting