Parallel FAI installations for sarge and etch on a sarge machine

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Wed Apr 18 15:12:27 CEST 2007

On 4/17/07, Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de> wrote:

>     > i am wondering if there is a way to have FAI for sarge and etch on one server.
> Sure, no problem.
>
> make-fai-nfsroot has the option  -c CFDIR
>       Use CFDIR as configuration directory. Default is /etc/fai.

You can, but you don't need an extra nfsroot for each
distribution/version. (you'll end up having many nfsroots with many
different versions of software in them when you install more than just
those two versions, that's one point against many nfsroots).

You can apply the principles I described in the wiki for Ubuntu
installations, and use the new feature of FAI for multiple base
images. I have a server that installs sarge, edgy and Ubuntu breezy
from one nfsroot and configspace - more versions to come.

In subversion (in the fai-distributions part of people/lazyboy) there
is also some example code on how to build different base images
without always installing and reinstalling debootstrap for each
distribution (as long as debootstrap isn't made more modular).
Theres a README that explains most things, I think.

I'm currently travelling, but can happily answer all questions
regarding this when I'm back end of the week(then I can look at my
systems and explain how I made some things that aren't documented).

Henning