upgrade FAI 2.10.2 to FAI 3

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Tue Apr 10 11:33:43 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm a happy FAI user, and was wondering how I would accomplish my
upgrade from pgrade FAI 2.10.2 to FAI 3.

First some background information:

Our FAI install server is running sarge on a 64bit kernel but in 32 bit
mode, and with FAI 2.10.2

The install server is exporting two sarge nfsroots, one for i386 and one
for amd64.

I make my 64bit FAI nfsroot:
- by chrooting into a 64bit chroot on the system where I have FAI 2.10.2
64bit installed.
- run make-fai-nfsroot
- get out the chroot and then cp the FAI nfsroot to the place where it
is exported

So I want to upgrade my FAI to version 3.  That first of all means that
I will have to run etch. Assuming that the dist-upgrade goes fine, I can
install the latest FAI and configure it a bit.

But I would like to provide some support for my sarge installed
machines.  E.g. I should be able to reinstall my sarge installed servers
(i386 and amd64bit).  And then begin installing etch machines :)

I see not to much problems, except:
- my configspace depending a bit on sarge
- serving/creating the sarge nfsroot

Does FAI 3 support serving several nfsroot out of the box?

If there are any suggestions please give me some feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Rudy

Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur ICT Department, Infrastructure office
Groep Systemen                    Systems group
Universiteit Gent                 Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be