Testing changes in FAI

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Wed Sep 20 19:11:57 CEST 2006

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:46:35AM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
> > I had the same idea as Michael who suggest a new action like test. IMO
> > this would be the best way to implement such a functionality.
>
> For us it would be much more important to simulate softupdates than
> installs. So one new action won't do it. Rather a -n option to the
> fai script which makes the following action into a dry-run. This is
> also what one would expect :)

Well, the difference as far as simulation is concerned is really a minor issue;
actually, running the "fai test" action would cater for both; actually, it would
be more like a softupdate anyway. This is due to the following fact: On whatever
system you run it, it would, e.g., have apt grab the currently installed
packages and apt would only print the packages newly installed. The same holds
for fcopy. It's IMHO just an additional output of the setup_harddisks utility,
which you can ignore anyway.

Testing an installation that way is probably even harder, as we might need the
base.tgz to be extracted to perform any kind of apt simulation at all!?

Regards,