Kernel Panic with custom kernel

Vicky vicky27in at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 18:42:47 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I am using fai ver. 2.10.5 on debian testing.

with the basic installed fai I can make the cd and install the demo fai server.

I made a custom kernel which boots into vga mode (bootsplash) and is
working in my debian. but when I put the same kernel into the fai
nfsroot (dpkg -x package.deb), create the cd with fai-cd (along with a
proper local mirror), boot with the cd, it boots into vga mode but
doesnt go beyond Gibraltar.

my grub parameters are
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
FAI_FLAGS="verbose,createvt" FAI_ACTION=install
ip=192.168.1.1::::hostname:eth0:on rw
initrd /boot/initrd

the message I get is:
trying to locate cdrom: found: hda
checking hda...found
Exiting Syslogd!
pivot_root: pivot_root: no such file or directory
Error: changing to new root failed
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I've been trying to create this cd past 1 week there were many errors
and mistakes which I have solved but could not get anything for the
above.

Please suggest asap

PS: I am trying to install in VMWare 5.5 (the demo cd with default
config and kernel works!)

regards
Vicky