Build nfs root for Woodcrest

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Thu Sep 14 10:28:19 CEST 2006

> >     > - a new kernel has to be used (for support of newer e1000 chips, and
> >     > 	Areca RAID controllers)
> > fai-kernels 1.12 includes the 2.6.17 kernel. It that ok for you?
>
> Since I need the arcmsr module, almost every kernel will do if if can be
> patched. If the 2.6.17 source is available, I'm fine...
>
> >     > - it has to be a complete x86_64 installation
> >
> >     > - etch for x86_64 is still incomplete
> > I know. Since today I only tested the FAI packages (even FAI 3 beta20)
> > on sarge machines. I will start with etch support tomorrow but it will
> > take some days to find all quirks in etch.

[...]

Is so incomplete that you can't use it? In case you are using it for some server
applications only, it should probably be alright.

What one could do:

- Boot your x86_64 with some sort of live-CD or anything else that gets you into
  a native x86_64 environment
- install the necessary FAI packages there and run make-fai-nfsroot
- find some way of installing your tailored kernel
  * make-fai-nfsroot -k
  * have the initial make-fai-nfsroot install it
  * cp $kernel $NFSROOT ; chroot $NFSROOT ; dpkg -i $kernel
  * most probably even dpkg -x $kernel $NFSROOT will do
- copy your $NFSROOT to your FAI server

If the first 2 steps aren't possible at all (probably due to your RAID
controller), grab someone elses NFSROOT for x86_64 (e.g., I do have one), it
might be sufficient to get your own x86_64 running to build an NFSROOT yourself.

HTH,