fai and etch?

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Tue Sep 5 08:39:42 CEST 2006

Hi,

(Just a shor wrap up from yesterday.)

As discussed on IRC yesterday, I failed to create a fai installation based
on etch with fai 2.10.5 :-(  The problem seemed to be that on the test
machine (which only has USB keyb, might be the reason), the installation
wouldn't initialise a tty.  During the installation, this didn't matter,
but apparently the initrd inherited this, and thus the installed system
didn't boot past the initrd.

I didn't get anywhere with this[*].  What we are using now is a system based
on sarge, but with udev + hal + kernel + KDE + OO.org + basically most
other things from etch.  BUT, and that seems to be the important thing, the
nfsroot based on sarge.  Mostly sarge, at least.

(I'd really like to have debugged the original problem, but as this is on
paid time, I can't reasonably spend any more time on this, sorry about
that.)

cheers
-- vbi

[*]
I tried using different ramdisk creators, and I tried using nfsroot with or
without udev.  Debugging initrd stuff is really awful if it's broken in a
way so that you don't even have a console - I got yaird to dump me in a
shell at the end of the initrd, but as the keyboard is not initialised at
that point, much good it did...  Thanks anyway to those who tried to help.

--
Could this mail be a fake? (Answer: No! - http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/intro)