FAI MultiDistro

Edward Murphy edward.murphy at proxima-tech.com
Fri Oct 20 06:20:52 CEST 2006

Firstly thank you to all who replied.

> Attention! Take care not to mix up the task of "running a FAI Server
> on Ubuntu" for which these mentioned packages are necessary, and the
> task of "Installing an Ubuntu Server with FAI (more or less irrelevant
> what the FAI server distribution is, it's mainly configspace tweaking"
>
> So, Eddy, do you want to use a Debian or Ubuntu Server?

I am using a Debian Etch server trying to install Ubuntu.

> For Debian Etch and UBuntu my fai-distributions package as mentioned
> in the wiki does help. But the version from Subversion should be used,
> it contains the newest stuff, I can help with getting started with
> this if there are any questions.

I have been playing with this for most of the day today and now have a
decent understanding of how it all works. It's quite a clean way of
implementing things (i.e. using the hooks rather then re-writing parts
of fai).

I have had to mix and match a little to get the config space to work,
however i have just successfully been able to install a Breezy Desktop
system running fai 3.1

> > BTW, I happy about any feedback how this works and maybe you like to
> > update the wiki pages concerning this topic.
>
> Me also. These wiki pages where written by me, so I'd like to be
> involved in making them better. I invested quite some time in this,
> and will continue to do so. Help and bugreports are necessary to get
> it more smoothly. It's basically not hard to do if you know FAI, and
> the distribution you want to install, but often it takes a lot of time
> to fix stuff, test install, check logs, and again fix until you have
> it working. At least when doing it with Xen you don't have to run from
> one machine ot another...

Once i have a little more of a play with things and get a few small
config bugs working I'll be more then happy to do some suggested or even
extended documentation for the wiki. With the FAI Multi-Distribution
page, i found that it was a little tricky to understand what was going
on if you did not understand more then the basics of FAI.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Kind Regards
Edward Murphy
IT Services Manager