Maintaining Xen with FAI - Questions

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Wed Nov 29 23:41:15 CET 2006

> Hello,
>
> I've got several Questions about using FAI to install a Xen virtual
> Domain.
>
> - First of all, what did you use to make custom kernels? I tried to
> use make-kpkg for generating xen dom0 and domU kernels, for the dom0
> kernel it works fine, I am using the xen hypervisor provided by the
> debian repository, that works ok together with homemade Dom0 linux-
> kernel.
> Please correct me if I already have done something stupid at this time.

I'm using a custom built xen kernel as well, because Debian kernels for xen
lack pae support :-(

> - If I install the whole xen-system by apt-getting it, i can start a
> FAI Installation with the initrd provided by the deb package and the
> xenu kernel i generated by myself, of course i have to install my
> domu kernel over the xen system installation, also not very clean,
> but i dont know how to build a .deb-package out of the xen-utils or
> the hypervisor when i compile it from source.  But if i try to use
> ONLY my domu kernel it doesnt start. XEND.log says "domain has
> crashed".  Building deb-pkgs from xen-source seems pretty advanced to
> me, because there are several make targets, dom0, domu and xen-utils
> with hypervisor,so how did you guys manage this?

Why don't you use the packages provided by Debian? Here we've got:

root at wasp:~# dpkg -l | grep xen
ii  libc6-xen                              2.3.6.ds1-7                     GNU C Library: Shared libraries [Xen version
ii  linux-xen0-2.6.18-686xenbigmem         F.1                             Linux xen kernel binary image for version 2.
ii  xen-hypervisor-3.0-unstable-1-i386-pae 3.0-unstable+hg11561-1          The Xen Hypervisor on i386-pae-class
ii  xen-utils-3.0-unstable-1               3.0-unstable+hg11561-1          XEN administrative tools
ii  xen-utils-common                       3.0.3-0-1                       XEN administrative tools - common files

(System is entirely from Debian/etch)

> - Is there any essential support I have to setup in my domu kernel to
> get FAI to start running without an initrd?? I've checked there is
> already NFS support built into my domU-kernel. But what else do i
> need to be ready to use fai with xen?

Network, disk, NFS should be about it...

> - Do you use seperate kernels for dom0 and domU? the debian pkg from
> official server installs one kernel for both. What are the advantages
> of using just one for both purposes?

The same kernel everywhere... The advantage of using one for both should be
obvious: It takes a lot more time to build and maintain two variants of your
kernel. And I don't know about any disadvantages...

Best,