Maintaining Xen with FAI - Questions

Mario Bischof mbischof at gmx.net
Wed Nov 29 23:14:59 CET 2006

Hello,

I've got several Questions about using FAI to install a Xen virtual
Domain.

- First of all, what did you use to make custom kernels? I tried to
use make-kpkg for generating xen dom0 and domU kernels, for the dom0
kernel it works fine, I am using the xen hypervisor provided by the
debian repository, that works ok together with homemade Dom0 linux-
kernel.
Please correct me if I already have done something stupid at this time.

- If I install the whole xen-system by apt-getting it, i can start a
FAI Installation with the initrd provided by the deb package and the
xenu kernel i generated by myself, of course i have to install my
domu kernel over the xen system installation, also not very clean,
but i dont know how to build a .deb-package out of the xen-utils or
the hypervisor when i compile it from source.  But if i try to use
ONLY my domu kernel it doesnt start. XEND.log says "domain has
crashed".  Building deb-pkgs from xen-source seems pretty advanced to
me, because there are several make targets, dom0, domu and xen-utils
with hypervisor,so how did you guys manage this?

- Is there any essential support I have to setup in my domu kernel to
get FAI to start running without an initrd?? I've checked there is
already NFS support built into my domU-kernel. But what else do i
need to be ready to use fai with xen?

- Do you use seperate kernels for dom0 and domU? the debian pkg from
official server installs one kernel for both. What are the advantages
of using just one for both purposes?

Many thanks for all coming help.

Greetings

Mario