Fai server can be a different architecture from clients?

Wed Nov 22 21:20:24 CET 2006

    > Ok. So inorder to create an nfsroot of arch type X one needs to be
    > on a machine of arch type X?
Yep.

    > 1. I have an FAI server on arch X with various nfsroots of arch types
    > Y_1, Y_2 (these could be mounted via nfs from hosts of type Y_1, Y_2...
    > where these Nfsroot would have been created by installing fai-server
    > and running fai-setup).
That's fine.
But AFAIK your FAI server cannot export a nfsroot via NFS which was
mounted by NFS from another server. So maybe you must copy those
nfsroots to your server and then export them via NFS.

    > 2. I have clients that are of type Y_1, Y_2... and I want to use a single
    > FAI server to install them. It would be good if a menu would come up
    > on the client that would allow me to choose the correct FAI kernel image for
    > that arch. I think this should be feasible. In fact, we have an image
    > server that already has this ability. Anyone doing this?
Attached is a pxelinux.cfg config file (maybe you want to name it
default) which let you choose between different boot options. IT
should be easy to extend it to support different nfsroots.

default harddisk

DISPLAY f1.msg
F1 f1.msg
F2 f2.msg
F2 f3.msg

PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 900

label harddisk
 localboot 0

label memtest
  kernel memtest86+

label sysinfo
kernel vmlinuz-install
append ip=dhcp FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://suenner/srv/fai/config FAI_ACTION=sysinfo root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=134.95.9.136:/srv/fai/nfsroot,v3,tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt

label demo
kernel vmlinuz-install
append ip=dhcp FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://suenner/srv/fai/config FAI_ACTION=install root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=134.95.9.136:/srv/fai/nfsroot,v3,tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt HOST=demohost

label gnome
kernel vmlinuz-install
append ip=dhcp FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://suenner/srv/fai/config FAI_ACTION=install root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=134.95.9.136:/srv/fai/nfsroot,v3,tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt HOST=gnomehost

P.S: Please do not cite the whole posting, if only a small part is sufficient.