any network drivers missing in fai-kernels?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Wed Nov 15 08:17:57 CET 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 08:47:32PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 14 November 2006 13:56, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> > Why limit to network?
>
> Network needs to be compiled into the kernel, while the rest can be modules.
> Thats the only diff.
>
> > It might (is!) useful to have common RAID controllers
> > supported by FAI as well - 3ware (7000/8000 series, and 9000 series), and
>
> Can you please tell me the name of the option?

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID=m
CONFIG_SCSI_3W_9XXX=m

if I'm not mistaken

> > Areca (arcmsr, has to be included by hand from
> > ftp://ftp.areca.com.tw/RaidCards/AP_Drivers/Linux/DRIVER/SourceCode/) come
> > to mind...
>
> No way, sorry. We use the standard debian kernel source tree.

That's a pity :(

> > it might also make sense to activate IPMI support.
>
> Can you please tell me the name of the option and what it does?

CONFIG_IPMI_HANDLER=m
# CONFIG_IPMI_PANIC_EVENT is not set
CONFIG_IPMI_DEVICE_INTERFACE=m
CONFIG_IPMI_SI=m
CONFIG_IPMI_WATCHDOG=m
CONFIG_IPMI_POWEROFF=m

IPMI is an interface to "baseboard controllers": you can switch a box on/off,
query sensors readings & events, and even run serial over LAN (some have real
VGA over HTTP/Java). Very nice to have if you have to set up a big cluster and
find out why a certain machine is misbehaving. "ipmitool" is the corresponding
userspace utility.

> Actually it would help me, if you would file seperate bugs yourself. *You*
> know how to do that ;) And isn't it nicer to share the work?

Once upon a time I knew... I'm trying to share my work as well :) 632 machines...

Cheers
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/