help - problems with fai cciss and grub

Andreas Putzo andreas at inferno.nadir.org
Tue Nov 7 11:00:35 CET 2006

Hi,

On Nov 06, vamegh hedayati wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I require help in trying to get fai to carry out any form of
> installation grub bombs out on reboot every time.
>
> I have given up in the actual configuration, but from a scratch default
> configuration the problem rears its head.
>
> To explain the setup (I am completely new to fai so please ignore my
> ignorance, but have researched this for a few days now)
>
> xen-labsrv-001:/srv/fai/nfsroot/var/lib/fai/config# fai --help

Is /var/lib/fai/config a valid directory inside the nfsroot?
At least with 2.8.4 i don't have this directory.

> fai FAI 3.1, 19 Oct 2006. Copyright (C) 1999-2006 Thomas Lange

> when changing fai to use lilo instead of grub everything works fine when
> using grub I just get a page full of grub or 19 when it comes to the
> actual boot of the new system.

Stage 2 error 19: Linux kernel must be loaded before initrd
This error is returned if the initrd command is used before loading a
Linux kernel.
Perhaps your menu.lst is wrong?

[...]
> At this point I have had to give up with grub but as I mentioned lilo
> does work and I know this is all to do with the face that the server is
> in hardware raid 1 using cciss (compaq raid array). There are 2x300gig
> drives in raid 1.

grub had some bugs in handling cciss devices (#341888 and #258022).
However, these bugs are already resolved. What grub version is in your
nfsroot / will be installed on your client? Perhaps upgrading helps?

-- andreas