help - problems with fai cciss and grub

vamegh hedayati vamegh at vamegh.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 11:06:25 CET 2006

Hello,

I require help in trying to get fai to carry out any form of
installation grub bombs out on reboot every time.

I have given up in the actual configuration, but from a scratch default
configuration the problem rears its head.

To explain the setup (I am completely new to fai so please ignore my
ignorance, but have researched this for a few days now)

xen-labsrv-001:/srv/fai/nfsroot/var/lib/fai/config# fai --help
fai FAI 3.1, 19 Oct 2006. Copyright (C) 1999-2006 Thomas Lange

1xhp dl380 acting as fai-server, it does everything correctly using
default configuration in  /srv/fai/config.

when changing fai to use lilo instead of grub everything works fine when
using grub I just get a page full of grub or 19 when it comes to the
actual boot of the new system.

The output of shell.log and error.log (important errors) is at the
bottom of this email.  I know that device2grub is going wrong and have
specifically specified GROOT to be (hd0,0) which has made no difference
as well.

At this point I have had to give up with grub but as I mentioned lilo
does work and I know this is all to do with the face that the server is
in hardware raid 1 using cciss (compaq raid array). There are 2x300gig
drives in raid 1.

If you require any further information please let me know. I hope I can
get this resolved.

Thanks,

Vamegh

fai.log:WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
fai.log:Authentication warning overridden.
fai.log:ifupdown.postinst: Warning: No 'iface lo' definition found in
/etc/network/interfaces
fai.log:ifupdown.postinst: Warning: No 'auto lo' statement found in
/etc/network/interfaces
fai.log:Warning: Dummy start-stop-daemon called . Doing nothing.
fai.log: failed!
fai.log:configure.DEFAULT    FAILED with exit code 1.
shell.log:Can't match device: /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
status.log:configure.DEFAULT    FAILED with exit code 1.
syslog.log:Jun  1 04:59:20 demohost udevd[5588]: init_udevd_socket: bind
failed: Address already in use

=====   shell: GRUB/10-setup   =====
fcopy: copied /var/lib/fai/config/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/GRUB to
/tmp/target/boot/grub/menu.lst
You shouldn't call /sbin/grub-install. Please call
/usr/sbin/grub-install instead!

Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
expr: non-numeric argument
Due to a bug in xfs_freeze, the following command might produce a
segmentation
fault when /tmp/target/boot/grub is not in an XFS filesystem. This error
is harmless and
can be ignored.
xfs_freeze: specified file ["/tmp/target/boot/grub"] is not on an XFS
filesystem
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /tmp/target/boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(hd0)   /dev/cciss/c0d0
Can't match device: /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-2-486
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Grub installed on /dev/cciss/c0d0 on
GRUB/10-setup        OK.
=====   shell: LAST/50-misc   =====
select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out
Running "apt-get -f install" for the last time.
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
fcopy: Nonexisting directory
/var/lib/fai/config/files/etc/apt/sources.list. No files copied.
LAST/50-misc         OK.