Building VServers with FAI

Gebhardt Thomas gebhardt at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Wed Nov 1 14:15:40 CET 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to build VServers (www.linux-vservers.org) with the help of FAI
and noticed, that there is a script "/usr/lib/util-vserver/vserver-build.fai"
from Sam Vilain, which is distributed with debian etch.

As far as I can see, this script assumes that both fai-nfsroot and the
fai config directory are on the same machine as the vserver, which is to
be installed. This is not true in my environment, so I mounted these
directories by hand, just to go further.

I eventually got stuck at this code snippet:

########
if ! grep -qw VIRTUAL "$FAI_NFSROOT/usr/sbin/fai"
then
    panic $"\
ERROR: Looks like you don't have the patched FAI.
See
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Using_FAI_as_a_vserver_build_method
for information on where to get it."
fi
########

Neither in
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Using_FAI_as_a_vserver_build_method
nor in
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/User:BrianShowalter/Using_FAI_to_install_Linux-vservers

I found a patch that makes 'grep -qw VIRTUAL "$FAI_NFSROOT/usr/sbin/fai"'
become true (please correct me, if I missed something).

Is there a special VServer edition of FAI floating around?

Thanks, Thomas