fai and sata hardware

Thu Mar 23 18:56:10 CET 2006

    > Are there published install kernels for SATA hardware?  Specifically, ICH7
    > on a Dell Optiplex doesn't work for me with 2.6.15 from fai-kernels 1.10.2
This kernel should work. I also have an ICH7 chipset and SATA drivers.
With sarge (and maybe etch) the problem is that discover does not load
the ata_piix driver. So, FAI has to do it "manually"

    > Hmmm.  Loading ata_piix brings /dev/sda to life (only done this manually for now).
    > Where should this get loaded????
Just add the kernel module to e 20-hwdetect.source this way:

    2.6*) kernelmodules="$kernelmodules usbhid usbmouse ide-generic mptspi ata_piix" ;;

I also added the mptspi module for installing a SUN V20z. On this
machine also discover does not load all needed modules. This patch is
now in the subversion repository (since yesterday or so)