64bit nfsroot

Wed Jun 14 11:54:53 CEST 2006

    > I collegue ask me why I set up a 64 bit nfsroot, next to mine 32 bit
    > nfsroot.
    > His point is that if you boot with a 64bit kernel, and with 32 bit
    > userspace (the nfsroot) you can install a 64 bit system.
Yes, but you will need a 64 bit base.tgz inside the nfsroot. By
default the base.tgz will be build right after the debootstrap
call. If you have a 32 bit nfsroot , your base.tgz will be a 32 bit
nfsroot. Nut you can easily exchange this base/tgz or write a simple
hook and use ftar for extracting another base.tgz (a 64bit, or a SUSE
or CentOS base.tgz).

But you still need a 64bit install kernel.