Trouble Building NFSROOT

Toni Mueller support-fai at oeko.net
Tue Jun 13 10:18:09 CEST 2006

Hello,

after some haggling with my install server, I just decided to re-create
the NFSROOT. The server and install client machines are Debian Sarge,
albeit adding some backports (for pure non-admin stuff).

I have all fai 2.10.1 packages that I can think of, and run from a
local apt-proxy "mirror".

Anyway, building the NFSROOT fails like this:

# debug=1 make-fai-nfsroot -v
... lots of stuff, then:
Get:12 http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/non-free Release [114B]
Fetched 3714kB in 2s (1547kB/s)
Reading Package Lists...
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Adding additional packages to /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot:
fai-nfsroot module-init-tools dhcp3-client ssh rdate lshw hwinfo portmap
bootpc rsync wget rsh-client less dump reiserfsprogs usbutils
psmisc pciutils hdparm smartmontools parted mdadm lvm2
dnsutils ntpdate dosfstools cvs vim xfsprogs xfsdump
sysutils dialog discover mdetect libnet-perl netcat libapt-pkg-perl
console-tools
grub lilo dmidecode hwtools read-edid
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
E: Couldn't find package fai-nfsroot
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But of course the system is able to find that package:

# apt-get -f install fai-nfsroot
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  fai-nfsroot
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/32.0kB of archives.
After unpacking 160kB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 41516 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fai-nfsroot (from .../fai-nfsroot_2.10.1_all.deb) ...
ERROR: The package fai-nfsroot can only be installed inside the nfsroot.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fai-nfsroot_2.10.1_all.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
 /var/cache/apt/archives/fai-nfsroot_2.10.1_all.deb

So, at least the package is there. What gives?

Best,
--Toni++