how to pin a locally compiled package?

martin whinnery martin.whinnery at sbirmc.ac.uk
Tue Jul 18 18:25:58 CEST 2006

Sorry, I've got myself all confused.

I've got some samba packages which I've recompiled.
samba-common-3.0.14a-3sarge1SBC

Now that samba-common-3.0.14a-3sarge2 is out, this is overriding my own
package.

Which is fine. I understand. I just need to pin the packages with a
priority of 1001 and apt won't upgrade them.

But it doesn't work. I'm fcopy-ing /etc/apt/preferences, and
post-install an aptitude upgrade downgrades to my local package. Which
is nice. But I want fai to prefer my local package.

I suspect I need to modify /etc/apt/preferences on the fai server - is
this right, and do I need to do a make-fai-nfsroot after?

I'm sure it's in the docs or on the mailing list, but sometimes, you
know, you just can't SEE it?

Mart

believed to be clean.