forcedeth

Per Foreby perf at ddg.lth.se
Sat Jul 8 18:55:28 CEST 2006

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, Holger Levsen wrote:

>> I'm referring to the version in the fai repository:
>
> besides that I don't have control over what ends up there...
>
>>    $ dpkg -s fai-kernels|grep -i version
>>    Version: 1.10.3
>>    $ zgrep FORCEDETH /usr/share/doc/fai-kernels/config-2.6.16.gz
>>    # CONFIG_FORCEDETH is not set
>
> I now guess that you're working with debian for i386 and not amd64, right?

Correct, I don't trust the amd64 version in a production environment until
December 4 (or whenever etch releases), and besides that, we still have
some intel boxes, so it's easier to use the same port everywhere.

> Because in the amd64 config it is included, in the i386 config it's not. Will
> fix this in 1.11...

I believe this will be appreciated, I'm probably not the only one running
i386 on Athlon64 boxes.

> P.S.: this will be really solved when we use standard debian kernels, which is
> my aim to achieve at the upcoming fai developer workshop...

Sounds interesting, but is it really possible when debian compiles almost
everything av modules, and relies on initrd for booting? But if
CONFIG_ROOT_NFS is statically linked, maybe you could use an initrd
image from an nfs share?

But using the stock sarge kernel wouldn't solve my problem, so one should
of course be able to use any debian kernel package. (Our new computers use
the NForce 430 chipset, and it't not supported until 2.6.15, so I install
2.6.16 kernel from backports.)

Using standard kernels would also make it impossible to create a boot
floppy, but it's probably only a matter of time before that would be
impossible even with a custom kernel. Anyway, I wouldn't miss the boot
floppy since booting from CD is much faster. And most network cards can
PXE boot these days - I only use a boot CD on a few old boxes with old
network cards which don't honour next-server (we don't have the dhcp
server on the fai server).

/Per