Install nodes with re-configured kernel image

Henning Glawe glaweh at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 19 09:55:27 CET 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 07:48:51AM +0100, Juergen Kahnert wrote:
> > not really. there's nothing that forces the _unpack_ order in a plain
> > 'Depends:'.
>
> are you sure? I can't find an example at my software log for this. Ok, I
> didn't checked everything, but for example ash:
>
> [...]
>
> Just coincidence? The unpacking order is the same like the get order.

in a certain sense yes; with very short package installation lists not
pulling in any bigger dependency trees, the order is obvious. But in case of
quite-a-lot-of-packages to install (like it happens e.g. in
install_packages), apt can shuffle packages around (and does it even
sometimes to resolve (pre-)dependendencies) as far as policy allows;
and a 'Depends:' does only mean the packages listed here have to be unpacked
and configured when this package is configured; this does not give any
statement about the unpack order.
A 'Pre-Depends:' assures the other package is already unpacked+configured
when the installation of this package starts, i.e. before the preinst and
unpack phases are started.

BTW: in your example the alphabetical ordering came through the ordering in
the Depends line...

--
c u
henning