Install nodes with re-configured kernel image

Brian Showalter bshowalter at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 15 21:48:52 CET 2006

--- Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE> wrote:

> What does fai-chboot -l on the install server tells you? Every
> client
> should disable its pxelinux config file (calling rsh/ssh fai-chboot
> -d
> on the install server). Therefor you need to define LOGUSER and
> this
> user needs write permissions for /boot/fai/pxelinux.cfg
> directory. Otherwise the PXE get the same config file, which tells
> the
> install client to boot the fai installer kernel and not to boot
> from
> local hard disk. Dont' forget to call fai-chboot -o default once,
> and
> have a llok at fai-chboot.8.

Yes, I did run fai-chboot -o default, and FAI is successfully
appending ".disable" to the client's config file in
/boot/fai/pxelinux.cfg.  Booting the client after the FAI install is
complete does bring up the GRUB menu with the 2.6.14 kernel
available.  Proceeding to boot that kernel results in a bunch of
kernel messages scrolling by, finally ending with:

Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda8" or unknown-block(2,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs or
unknown-block(2,0)

I've even tried turning off PXE booting in the BIOS, with the exact
same results. The kernel in question is the stock 2.6.14 kernel from
the fai-kernels 1.10.1 package in Debian testing.