get sata disk on ibm t43 as sda

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Wed Jan 4 23:29:41 CET 2006

Hi,

I have a machine with a sata disk. On the preinstalled Ubuntu running on
that machine this is run as sda.

But FAI sees them as hda, talking to them via the IDE driver. The same
effect as described here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux#No_DMA_on_system_hard_disk

Basically it says, when this happens, the disk is accessed via the IDE
driver, and with disabled DMA. But the proposed solution there, giving
hda=noprobe at the kernel command line ( by adding it in the host's
pxelinux.cfg file) doesn't change anything for the FAI install.
With a knoppix cd, the trick works - standard boot, disks on hda, boot
with hda=noprobe, disk as sda.

I am about getting started to compile a new kernel with the working
config (plus nfsroot activated) to solve this - from all posts here with
SATA problems, I do not get a clue which could help me, but all seem to
be going to compile a special fai-kernel as solution.

The only reason I fear this will probably not work is, the default
fai-kernels 1.10 which I use seem to have sata support included already,
so there might be a better idea.

Henning