FAI & Kubuntu

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Wed Feb 22 18:40:16 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 13:35 +0100, Juraj Holtak - ProAut s.r.o. wrote:
> [...]
> I`m very little familiar with Ubuntu and not at all with Kubuntu and how
> much it differs from Ubuntu. I would like to hear everybodys meaning, on
> how much difference (looking from FAI view) does it make to install
> Ubuntu or Kubuntu using FAI. My sixth sense says, that that shouldn`t be
> a big problem, but I can be wrong...

The difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu ist just a package selection
issue. They both use the same apt repository and all the packages are
the same. The difference is made by the choice of the package
ubuntu-desktop or kubuntu-dektop in the packages configuration of FAI.
They depend on KDE or Gnome, respectively.

> The next thing I need more information on after reading the Wiki, is the
> trouble with creating a FAI cd. Does this mean the full-blown FAI cd
> with all packages on it or the boot disk which actually boots and
> initiates the net install?

The feature not working with other distributions (mainly because I
didn't have time to work on it yet) is the fai-cd which is made by the
command fai-cd and is the cd used for the complete installation, instead
of the network install.

The boot floppy/ boot cd is not different from the normal boot-floppy.
(though I did never test it, because I have PXE everywhere).

BTW: take care you get the newest versions and docs. The Ubuntu stuff is
not so relevant anymore, because in the meantime there exist packages
which support more than just Ubuntu. The newest packages can be found at
a download location on the wiki server, not sprang.de.

Henning