changing the default base.tgz

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Wed Apr 12 17:49:43 CEST 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 09:07:19PM +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > i'm trying to install our heavily customized Ubuntu
> > on a bunch of laptops using FAI and the extra fai-
> > distributions package. I've successfully created a
> > customized base.tgz but since it's named after
> > the disatribution (base-flap.tgz) i doesn't get used
> > by the installation process. Is there a way to customize
> > the name of the base image? It _seems_ to be hardcoded
> > in subroutines-linux, function 'task_extrbase'.
> >

> Ok, IMHO there are a few things to note here:
>
> - Why do you need to customize base.tgz at all?

"Need" is relative. It's just much faster to have a base tar that already
contains most of the needed software (i.e. tetex installation takes a substantial
amount of time during installation. Installing it into the base results in a
font configuration  run during base creation).

> - If it is really required, why don't you just manually replace the base.tgz
>   file?

Because not all the clients need the same set of software. I try to use the
base as some kind of cache.

> - It is hardcoded there as it doesn't make sense anywhere else, but you could
>   simply replace extrbase by a hook that does the same things apart from the
>   different filename and an additional "skiptask extrbase"

I'll try this later.

 Thanks RalfD