FAI waiting for background jobs to finish

David Hausheer hausheer at tik.ee.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 29 12:30:11 CEST 2005

Hi

I noticed a strange problem when running FAI from a ramdisk. Everything
works fine, but at the end FAI keeps reporting "Waiting for background
jobs to finish." although no installation jobs are running anymore.
Thus, I have to reboot the machine manually.

I investigated the problem and added in jobsrunning()

echo `ps r | egrep -v "ps r|TIME COMMAND"`

which results into something like

817 ? R+ 0:00 /bin/bash /etc/init.d/rcS

Hence, it seems that the parent script is still running, when 'ps r' runs.

If root is mounted over NFS, the problem does not appear.

Any ideas?

David

| Dipl. El.-Ing. ETH David Hausheer                                  |
| Computer Engineering and Networks Laboratory (TIK), ETH Zurich     |
| Postal Address: ETH-Zentrum, CH-8092 Zurich                        |
| Phone:  +41-44-632-7540  |         Room: ETZ H83, Gloriastrasse 35 |
| Fax:    +41-44-632-1035  |  E-Mail: mailto:hausheer at tik.ee.ethz.ch |
| Mobile: +41-79-336-4076  |  WWW: http://www.csg.ethz.ch/~hausheer/ |