/TECH/ NIS install, fai scripts?

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Tue Oct 25 21:32:18 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 20:28 +0200, Henning Glawe wrote:
> [...]
> conclusion: never, ever copy /etc/{passwd,shadow,group} from one system to
> another, edit them via sed, perl or cfengine

Oh yes, sorry, I didn't look at what files he wanted to copy. for these
specific files, fcopy is probably not the best idea. Fcopy should only
be used for files in /etc that are meant to be hand-edited.

Instead of editing the files he can also just run adduser/addgroup and
give the numeric user/group ID as arguments because that should probably
always be the same on each system and after each install.

Henning Sprang