Problems with nfs mounts.

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Tue Oct 4 18:07:23 CEST 2005

Hi Kai,

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 17:26 +0200, Kai-Felix Braun wrote:
> [...]
> I will check that. These are the entries in /etc/exports:
> /usr/local/share/fai 127.0.0.0/24(async,ro)
> /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot 127.0.0.0/24(async,ro,no_root_squash)

that means you export the directories only to the localhost ip address,
which is only reachable from the host itself.

> [...]
> If not documented, which packages are needed ? There were a few warnings
> during fai-setup like :
> dpkg: warning - ignoring pre-dependency problem !

I don't think you need something not mentioned in the package
dependencies, I only think it might not be in the fai guide, not sure,
though.

> [...]
> > > Another problem is that the chaintech motherboards have the same mac
> > adress
> > > i.e. 00:00:00:00:00:10. How can I install in such a case ?
> >
> > This sound very strange to me, also that number looks very odd.
> > how do you come to the conclusion that it has such a strange MAC
> > address, how did you find this number?
>
> It looks odd to me too. The mac adress is displayed during booting of the
> node and I was also using tcpdump on the server. I migth live with this if I
> use the chaintech motherboard as server with a second nic for the local
> network.

You can set the ethernet address with "ifconfig hw ..." - see manpage.
O.K., that's not so easy when using such a machine as install client.
Maybe you can set the mac via some bios option, or something like that?
If there's no way to adjust the mac in the bios, it sounds like a good
reason to give the boards back to your dealer and get some "decent"
ones.

Henning