Problems with nfs mounts.

Kai-Felix Braun kai_braun at gmx.de
Tue Oct 4 17:26:14 CEST 2005

Hi,
Thanks for answering promptly.

> > Root nfs : Unable to get nfsd port number from server, using default
> > Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 192.168.42.250 ...
> > unable to mount root fs ...kernel panic ...
> >
> > It is mentioned in the guide to use showmount to see the exported
> > directories in such a case. Using showmount I get : mount
> clntudp_create:
> > RPC: Program not registered
>
> You sould check if the portmapper and nfs kernel server are running, and
> your entries in /etc/exports are correct.

I will check that. These are the entries in /etc/exports:
/usr/local/share/fai 127.0.0.0/24(async,ro)
/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot 127.0.0.0/24(async,ro,no_root_squash)

> Do you have installed all recommended packages for FAI?
I have installed :
 nfs-kernel-server etherwake fai fai-kernels ntp tftpd-hpa dhcp3-server
syslinux mknbi

> about that, it is confusing users, and me sometimes, too, and it's
> probably not documented anywhere that you need to install the additional
> packages for a network install.

If not documented, which packages are needed ? There were a few warnings
during fai-setup like :
dpkg: warning - ignoring pre-dependency problem !

> If this is the first time you set up an nfs service at all, it would be
> a very good idea to read the nfs howto at
> http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ as an introduction.

Thanks for the info.

> > Another problem is that the chaintech motherboards have the same mac
> adress
> > i.e. 00:00:00:00:00:10. How can I install in such a case ?
>
> This sound very strange to me, also that number looks very odd.
> how do you come to the conclusion that it has such a strange MAC
> address, how did you find this number?

It looks odd to me too. The mac adress is displayed during booting of the
node and I was also using tcpdump on the server. I migth live with this if I
use the chaintech motherboard as server with a second nic for the local
network.