fai 2.8.3 skipping packages?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Wed May 25 11:07:20 CEST 2005

Hi,

before filing a bug against fai (2.8.3) I'd like to ask here whether I'm
making stupid mistakes again...

(Before I start: this did work before, with 2.6.x.)

I'm trying to install a lot of packages (this is a server that gets
backed up by Tivoli and has some 3ware controller in it, so among the
packages to install there are tivsm-api and tivsm-ba, and 3dm2 - which
are located in files/packages and properly indexed into Packages.gz).

In the software.log I can find they are requested for install:

root at 4[install-20050525_095047]# grep tivsm software.log
install_packages: executing chroot /tmp/target apt-get -y -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" --force-yes --fix-missing install iptables logcheck tivsm-api
tivsm-ba sysstat ethereal kernel-package xemacs21 nedit gnuplot-x11 gmt perlmagick xv xv-doc gs-gpl enscript cvsutils cvsreport galeon mozilla-firefox adobereader-enu xbase-clients xterm xlockmore-gl
xlibs-dev xutils xfs lesstif-dev xserver-xfree86 xfonts-base xfonts-75dpi xfonts-100dpi xfonts-scalable t1-xfree86-nonfree ttf-freefont type1inst xscreensaver gnome-applets gnome2-user-guide gdm
gnome-utils gnome-control-center sawfish-gnome menu gnome-session gnome-terminal gnumeric gnome-gv gnome-media gnome-apt gnome-games eject libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 symlinks dlocate aptitude apt-utils
apt apt-howto-en grep-dctrl alien dpkg-ftp debootstrap debfoster deborphan dhelp gs gsfonts-x11 a2ps gv psutils poster pstotext tree mtools dosfstools dump w3m bc dc bsdmainutils cpio ed jove file
gawk libgmp3 libnet-perl libmail-sendmail-perl libpam0g patch perl-tk perl-suid perl-doc rcs sharutils tcllib time ash
root at 4[install-20050525_095047]# grep 3dm software.log
install_packages: executing chroot /tmp/target apt-get -y -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" --force-yes --fix-missing install minicom slang1-dev svgalibg1 git
ibritish iamerican ispell jargon lha bzip2 unarj unzip zoo zip unrar gimp groff man-db manpages manpages-dev info psgml debiandoc-sgml debiandoc-sgml-doc doc-linux-text doc-base doc-debian
doc-linux-de glibc-doc mgetty-docs diff-doc libapt-pkg-doc libpam-doc lilo-doc grub-doc lprng-doc sharutils-doc make-doc cfengine-doc texinfo emacs21 emacs-lisp-intro emacs-goodies-el bbdb vm mp
metamail mime-support fvwm imagemagick gnuplot ncftp netselect ntp-doc finger whois mozilla mozilla-chatzilla mozilla-psm dialog discover textutils recode screen antiword tetex-extra transfig
cweb-latex auctex foiltex prosper latex-beamer electric-fence bin86 m4 byacc cvs gcc gcc-3.4 gcc-3.3 g++ g++-3.4 g++-3.3 g77 g77-3.4 g77-3.3 ddd indent autoconf automake1.8 automake1.9 3dm2 tw-cli
tw-doc apache libapache-request-perl fai fai-kernels mknbi
  3dm2 antiword apache apache-common apache2-utils arj auctex autoconf
Selecting previously deselected package 3dm2.
Unpacking 3dm2 (from .../3dm2_2.03.00.025_i386.deb) ...
Setting up 3dm2 (2.03.00.025) ...

but looking at the system itself, no tivsm-* is there.
After removing the hash in front of the /fai line in /etc/fstab, and mounting
the FS, I can do

deimos:~# apt-get install tivsm-api tivsm-ba
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  tivsm-api tivsm-ba
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/17.2MB of archives.
After unpacking 43.7MB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package tivsm-api.
(Reading database ... 107901 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking tivsm-api (from .../tivsm-api_5.2.3-0_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package tivsm-ba.
Unpacking tivsm-ba (from .../tivsm-ba_5.2.3-0_i386.deb) ...
Setting up tivsm-api (5.2.3-0) ...
Setting up tivsm-ba (5.2.3-0) ...

so the packages are there, and can be installed.

Note that the packages have been created with alien - but they are not
the only ones, others (like condor) are already there.

Looking at the "apt-get" lines in software.log more closely, I find that
(obviously after taskinst has been run)
- clean
- install ... condor
- clean
- install tivsm-api tivsm-ba ... xv xv-doc ...
- clean
- install ... 3dm2 tw-cli ... fai ...
- clean
- install ...
- clean
- clean
Only the /fai/files/packages entries in the second install round
are missing (xv-doc too, which is a proper .deb).

I parsed *every* package listed in a apt-get install statement with
dpkg -s, and some more showed up with "unknown ok not-installed",
totalling 58 pkgs, and including important stuff as logcheck, sysstat,
symlinks, gawk, time, ash ... which can, of course, be installed by
hand afterwards...
If I do the parsing for each individual apt-get install line, I get the
counts: 0 58 0 0
so everything focuses to the 2nd install which consists of 99 packages.

I'm very confused.

Any ideas?

Should I copy all this stuff into a bug report?

Cheers,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI fuer Gravitationsphysik (Albert-Einstein-Institut)
SciencePark Golm, Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam * http://www.aei.mpg.de