very_oldworld compatibile

Peter 'p2' De Schrijver p2 at mind.be
Tue May 24 15:28:21 CEST 2005

Hi,

> Hi Holger,
>
> > What kind of oldworld (& newworld) machines do you have ?
>
> Here is a list of my macs: very_oldworld & oldworld :)

First oldworld in the apple mac context generally means "has ppc CPU, PCI bus
and macos in ROM". Newworld means "has ppc CPU, PCI bus and loads macos
ROM image from disk"

> very_oldworld = oldworld without bootloader ??
>
> Macintosh SE
> Macintosh Colour Classic
> Macintosh Quadra 700, 900
> Macintosh LC
> Macintosh LC II
> Macintosh LC III
> Macintosh LC 475
> Macintosh IIcx
> Macintosh IIvx
> Macintosh Performa 400
> Macintosh Performa 450
> Macintosh Performa 475

Those are all m68k based and thus not compatible with fai_ppc. 2.6 seems
to run on some them. Check the latest 2.6 tree or ask on the linux m68k
mailinglist.

> oldworld without bootloader / oldworld with bootloader ??
>
> Power Macintosh 4400/200

This is an oldworld machine.

> Power Macintosh 6100/66
>
> Macintosh Performa 5200

These are NUBUS PPC Mac. Ie they uses Nubus as it's expansion bus iso PCI
and is different enough to be incompatible with other mac PPC kernels.
There is some support for these machines at http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/.

> Macintosh Performa 530
> Macintosh Performa 630

These 2 are both m68k based models.

> Which of this may be "fai_ppc" compatibile ?

The 4400/200 should be fai_ppc compatible.

Cheers,

Peter (p2).