The groundhog installation...

Guejo glatapoui at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:55:25 CEST 2005

Hello again !

Sorry, I haven't found time to answer earlier, but here is the result
of what you proposed, Thomas.

> Try this on the install client during the installation:
>
> rsh -l fai <install server>
>
> Does this work without giving a password? It should work (unless your
> want to use ssh instead of rsh), otherwise the root account from the
> install client can't log into the install server to call fai-chboot.
I've tried the rsh command and I _must_ supply a password. And I don't
know which one. Because in the shadow file of the server I have
something like "fai:!:::...". So it can't be possible for me to login
as fai... And if I try to launch a command, it says 'Permission
denied', whatever the command. Besides, I thought about using ssh, but
if it is not a good choice I may change that, then.

> Also check if the account fai on the install server has write
> permissions in the directory /boot/fai/pxelinux.cfg.
I've looked at that directory, and I think it's ok since the owner is
fai, and it has write permission.

An another point is that fai-chboot *is* launched, but it doesn't do
anything, apart from listing the configuration. And I tried to "debug"
the subroutines-linux script, by inserting some harmless echos, but I
didn't get any output. Same when I tried the read command to get a
pause in the script. I am wondering whether these are really the files
that are called (/usr/share/fai/subroutines{,-linux}). I am also a bit
confused when I see how many fai folders reside in my system. One in
/boot, one in /etc, one in /home, one in /usr/share, one in
/usr/local/share,... Couldn't they be grouped, so that we could get a
grasp on the mechanism with little effort (or at least less effort) ?

By the way, when an update from 2.7 to 2.8 is done, should an
fai-setup be called again ?

>     > but when I submit the same string a second time, the output is not the
>     > same. Have I missed some point or am I going mad ?...
> It's because crypt uses a salt with is different during the second
> call. Read the man page of mkpasswd again. You can also give the salt
> on the command line.
>
>     > By the way, how do I know which type of encryption I should use
>     > (default ? md5 ?).
> You have to decide this by your own.
That's OK, now. Actually, I misconfigured NIS, and that was the problem.

> Please do not forget the FAI questionnaire ;-)
It's done ! :)

Best regards,
Joe.

P.S.: Even if I'm criticizing some points, this is still a marvelous tool ;-)