fai 2.8.2 testing

Henning Sprang henning_fai at gmx.de
Sun May 8 21:52:35 CEST 2005

Hy,
I am just testing the new FAI 2.8 release.

* first install creates a working example demo system with gnome

* fai-cd creates a working example demo system with gnome

* i can install systems from my own custom config space, too

* I still have troubles getting logging via ssh to work, even when i set LOGUSER,
FAI_REMOTESH and FAI_REMOTECP.

If I run this little script after each make-fai-nfsroot, it "works":

--- start fai-set-nfsroot-sshkeys.sh ---
#! /bin/sh

cat /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub > /home/fai/.ssh/authorized_keys
cat /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub > /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/root/.ssh/known_hosts

MY_HOSTNAME=`hostname`
MY_IP_ADDRESS=`gethostip -d $MY_HOSTNAME`

echo "MY_HOSTNAME is $MY_HOSTNAME"
echo "MY_IP_ADDRESS is $MY_IP_ADDRESS"
perl -pi -e "s/ssh-rsa/$MY_HOSTNAME,${MY_IP_ADDRESS} ssh-rsa/" /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/root/.ssh/known_hosts

perl -pi -e "s/root\@${MY_HOSTNAME}//" /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/root/.ssh/known_hosts
--- end fai-set-nfsroot-sshkeys.sh ---

I am not sure if this works well in all situations, still, would it be useful
to others if we'd incorporate that in fai-setup, or make-fai-nfsroot,
or put it in the utils dir of the documentation?

* shouldn't we have a debconf question for setting the variables
LOGUSER, FAI_REMOTESH and FAI_REMOTECP in /etc/fai.conf

* Some days ago, I've been looking for some fai quick start hints,
for the smallest possible docs to be read to get FAI working, to
see if they are "working". The first time I looked, I didn't find them.

Right now, before I wanted to ask where they have gone because
I knew there where something, I've found them: section 4.9 of the FAI guide.

I have some wishes about that:
1)I think/believe "Quickstart" is maybe something more intuitive to describe a
document that should help you get started quick without reading lots of docs.

2) Even it's called "For the impatient user" it should be really at the
very start of the guide, a sub-chapter of chapter 1, because no impatient user
will read until 4.9 / search it under the name of chapter 4.

Bye,
Henning