softupdates & Re: installing packages that require a running mysqld

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Mon Jun 13 19:47:17 CEST 2005

package: fai
version: 2.8.4
severity: wishlist

Hi,

On Monday 13 June 2005 13:41, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Alternatively, one could run "apt-get install mtop" only, if mysqld is
> running, i.e., during a softupdate. That might cause less trouble ...

I've just come home from the skolelinux developer meeting in Bergen where I
investigated the possibilities of using fai's softupdates capabilities for
skolelinux installations.

One of the conclusions is this bug-report :-)

It would be very useful to have two more default classes, FAI_INSTALL and
FAI_SOFTUPDATE - I find the prefix "FAI_" also useful.

To "finally" answer the question of this thread: install mtop after the
installation, either by running fai softupdate after the install (and adding
a script to the class that installs mysql which only gets executed on
softupdates (you could for example check on $target..) or by creating a
script then gets run only by the very first boot of the new system.

More reports to follow :-)

regards,
	Holger