problem with 2.6.6.

Andreas Gredler jimmy at g-tec.co.at
Wed Feb 16 17:20:49 CET 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 04:29:25PM +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > Are you sure? I took a look at the source a few times and I couldn't
>     > find some piece of code that copies or generates a /etc/resolv.conf
>     > file. So it will be always missing, IMO.
>
> On the install clients the task confdir calls the script create_resolv_conf
> (/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/usr/lib/fai/create_resolv_conf) which creates
> a resolv.conf during the installation.

Ok.

> For creating the nfsroot on the install server you should normally
> include the IP address of the ftp or NFS server into the variable
> $NFSROOT_ETC_HOSTS. Then you do not need a resolv.conf during the
> make-fai-nfsroot call. Does this solve the problem?

Of course it would solve the problem, too. But IMO it would be better to
have a resolv.conf in $NFSROOT, because this was the way it worked
before. Currently a upgrade to 2.6.6 breaks the upgrade of the nfsroot
unless you know about the missing resolv.conf and change
$NFSROOT_ETC_HOSTS accordingly.

Why did you insert the "rm /etc/resolv.conf" in the latest release? To
get around the bug in debootstrap? If yes, why don't solve the problem
with a package dependency?

greets Jimmy

Andreas "Jimmy" Gredler, jimmy at g-tec.co.at
Get my public key at www.g-tec.co.at