Biarch installation to amd64?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Tue Dec 6 20:08:02 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 07:26:08PM +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > Hi,
>     > I'm looking for an easy (:-) solution to perform a bi-arch installation
>     > on amd64: have 64 bits (with ia32-libs!) as underlying system, and
>     > 32 bits in a chrooted environment (say, in /ia32-root, for openoffice
>     > vmware and the like).
>     > Will FAI be able to do this?
> AFAIK nobidy did a FAI installation into a directory. But this is an
> interesting option, since also installations for qemu or xen will need
> this option. IMO it should be possible, we only have to skip the
> partition task, the rest of the fai task should remain the same (also
> skip kernel installation and writing grub to mbr). Most work may be
> the initital part, means getting all information that are normally
> received when doing network boot.

Instead of nfsroot booting, there would be a second pass through most of
the FAI installer, within the chroot environment (one could even bind-
mount the proper root there...) - does double chroot work?

Have to digest this idea...

BTW, are there fai-kernels for amd64 available somewhere? (Not that I need
them, I've got to build my own kernel for Areca support anyway...)

Cheers,
 Steffen