shadow passwords and FAI

Sun Aug 28 18:14:44 CEST 2005

    >> The problem is that at the time software is installed by FAI, shadow
    >> passwords are not enabled and thus /etc/shadow does not exist.

    > Calling `$ROOTCMD shadowconfig on` from hooks/updatebase.DEFAULT
    > does the trick. However, this is to basic that I believe FAI should
    > do it automatically, no?

In FAI 2.8.4 we are using debconf to set up shadow passwords. I think
you are using some old customization scripts. In the past we've used
these commands:

$ROOTCMD pwconv ; $ROOTCMD grpconv

Now we are using /fai/debconf/FAIBSE:

passwd  passwd/shadow   boolean true

You see, there's more than one way to do it :-)