Need modified fai-kernels_*_i386.deb

Jan Jansen maillist_jan at gmx.net
Fri Aug 26 11:03:32 CEST 2005

On Thursday 25 August 2005 20:50, Terry Gliedt wrote:
> As I understand what is going on (or actually NOT going on :-), the
> kernel panics when it cannot get the ethernet driver loaded, so the NFS
> mount fails.  In the same manner booting from the FAI-CD image fails
> because the kernel cannot find the CD-ROM device.
exactly
> I was going to make a kernel, but then realized I did not know where the
> complete source for the kernel was (I assume there is one to handle the
> extra parameters).
in order to use a modified version of an fai-kernel, extract the kernel's .deb
package (dpkg-deb -x fai-kernel-*-i386.deb fai-kernel-*-i386 & the same with
-e). Now you have the unpacked filetree of the kernel-package. Now, you
download the corresponding source of your favorite kernel, copy the config of
it to your new kernel-source-dir/.config and compile it with your
modifications. Afterwards, copy the bzImage file to the right location in
your extract directory (i think /boot/vmlinuz-*) and regenerate the package
with: 'dpkg-deb -b <dir>'
Notice: to avoid that a upgraded fai-kernel will replace your modified kernel,
either write a makefile to automatically adjust your package to the new fai
package, or simply enter a different name for the package in
<dir>/DEBIAN/control
Hope it helps you