Need modified fai-kernels_*_i386.deb

Terry Gliedt tpg at umich.edu
Thu Aug 25 20:50:58 CEST 2005

I cannot get the FAI kernel to install on an IBM Blade server because
the install kernel does not include these modules loaded in the kernel:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR   (SCSI CD-ROM)
CONFIG_TIGON3       (Tigon 3 ethernet card)

As I understand what is going on (or actually NOT going on :-), the
kernel panics when it cannot get the ethernet driver loaded, so the NFS
mount fails.  In the same manner booting from the FAI-CD image fails
because the kernel cannot find the CD-ROM device.

I was going to make a kernel, but then realized I did not know where the
complete source for the kernel was (I assume there is one to handle the
extra parameters).

In any case I need some pointers how to over come this - either making
my own kernel or passing the right parameters at boot time or whatever
it takes.  The IBM Blades are the last data type I have to overwhelm
before I can use FAI to bring up the entire cluster.  TIA

Terry Gliedt     tpg at umich.edu       http://www.hps.com/~tpg/
Biostatistics, Univ of Michigan  Personal Email:  tpg at hps.com