nfs over tcp

Henning Glawe glaweh at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 18 11:24:10 CEST 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 10:57:49AM +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> I was forced to use nfs over tcp at our chair to allow an acceptable performance
> in a mixed 10/100/1000 ethernet environment. Still, this is a Linux-only
> environment and the kernel-option for nfs over tcp in enabled for all my custom
> kernels and I did not encounter any problems.
>
> On the other hand, I do not know whether this option is enabled in Debian
> kernels by default, whereby we might break some setups. As an option, we could

IMHO the only thing you could toggle in the kernel config is nfs _server_ over
tcp (which is enabled in the debian kernels), so the clientside support
should be always available...

> try to mount using the tcp option and fall back to udp, if the mount operation
> fails -- or does the mount work in any case?
good question; this I didn't try yet...

BTW: even nfsroot over tcp works, though isn't documented in the kernels
nfsroot.txt: use something like

nfsroot=server:path,tcp

on the kernel command line to use it.

--