nfs over tcp

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Thu Aug 18 10:57:49 CEST 2005

>     > IMHO it would be good to nfs-mount the debmirror over tcp instead of udp,
>     > because nfs over udp can be unreliable when gigabit ethernet is in use.
>

>     > what are your opinions about setting this as FAI's default?
> If more people are testing this and also like this as a default, then
> I will accept it. I will not change such things when it only works in
> one single environment.

I was forced to use nfs over tcp at our chair to allow an acceptable performance
in a mixed 10/100/1000 ethernet environment. Still, this is a Linux-only
environment and the kernel-option for nfs over tcp in enabled for all my custom
kernels and I did not encounter any problems.

On the other hand, I do not know whether this option is enabled in Debian
kernels by default, whereby we might break some setups. As an option, we could
try to mount using the tcp option and fall back to udp, if the mount operation
fails -- or does the mount work in any case?

Regards,