kernel installation problems

Mike Henson fwmike at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 20:49:38 CEST 2005

Greetings,

I have a 2.8.4 FAI install server that I cannot get to install a
kernel. My install client PXE boots, partitions the disk and appears
to work up until invoking task_configure where I get the following
logged to shell.log:

Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub .
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.list file... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst .
Searching for splash image... none found, skipping...
/bin/ls: /boot/vmlinuz-*: No such file or directory
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

If I ctrl-c before rebooting and check /tmp/target/boot grub is there
but the kernel is missing. I have also tried LILO and the kernel does
not install either. Can someone enlighten me on what might be
happening? I cannot find any references to kernel installation in the
docs.

Thanks,
-Mike