Can't mount ext3 filesystem

Ben Willcox ben.willcox at british-gymnastics.org
Tue Aug 9 16:30:09 CEST 2005

Steffen Grunewald wrote:

<snip>

> there's no ext3 support in the kernel...
>

>>I get the same message if I try to manually mount from the shell. So...
>>any ideas what might be going on? I can't mount it as ext2 either if
>>that makes any difference. I'm using the default config that came with
>>FAI and am trying to build 'demohost'.
>

> which kernel are you using?

Hi Steffen,

I am using the 2.4.27 kernel that comes with the latest fai-kernels
package. However I've just remembered that there is also a 2.6 kernel in
that package so I decided to try that. This time everything works perfectly!
So, I think there is a problem that the 2.4.27 kernel in fai-kernels
doesn't support ext2 or ext3 and the default demo scripts are creating
an ext3 filesystem. That is, unless I have done something wrong!
I will carry on with the 2.6.8 kernel so my problem right now is solved.

Thanks,
Ben