Ubuntu/Kubuntu and FAI

Andreas Sindermann sinder at thp.Uni-Koeln.DE
Wed Aug 3 17:10:44 CEST 2005

Andreas Jobs writes:
 > On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 02:54:11PM +0200, Andreas Sindermann wrote:
 > > a) For some reason the grub package is not installed and the
 > > installation log files (esp. software.log) is not very informative
 > > why. Effect is that the system is left in an unbootable state at the
 > > grub> prompt.
 > >=20
 > > b) When entering the needed information (kernel to be used etc) by
 > > hand at this prompt the system is booting but for whatever reasons in
 > > a very bad state. It seems that the /dev directory contains only very
 > > few devices like /dev/sg and things like that. Especially /dev/sd* are
 > > missing where the system has been installed on.
 >
 > I had a similar problem. In my case fai wasn't able to update the deb packa=
 > ges
 > during the installation. First my $FAINFSROOT/etc/apt/sources.list wasn't
 > pointing to the correct location and during my second try the
 > "host-to-be-installed" had no access to the mirror (wrong IP configuration;=
 >  in
 > my case).=20

Fortunately, this seems to work without any problems. The packages can
be accessed without any problems from the nfsroot environment as well
as from the host-to-be-installed... But talking about
/etc/fai/sources.list I have the impression that the base.tgz file
created by make-fai-nfsroot is not really complete as the logfile

http://www.thp.uni-koeln.de/~sinder/fai-setup.log

says

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ubuntu-base:
 ubuntu-base depends on at; however:
  Package at is not installed.
 ubuntu-base depends on fdutils; however:
  Package fdutils is not installed.
 ubuntu-base depends on info; however:
  Package info is not installed.
 ubuntu-base depends on logrotate; however:
  Package logrotate is not installed.
 ubuntu-base depends on mailx; however:
  Package mailx is not installed.
 ubuntu-base depends on ppp; however:
  Package ppp is not installed.
 ubuntu-base depends on pppconfig; however:
  Package pppconfig is not installed.
 ubuntu-base depends on pppoeconf; however:
  Package pppoeconf is not installed.
dpkg: error processing ubuntu-base (--configure):
 ubuntu-base
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5 times.
Creating base.tgz

For some reason the /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf says

FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--exclude=pcmcia-cs,ppp,pppconfig,pppoe,pppoeconf,dhcp-client,exim4,exim4-base,exim4-config,exim4-daemon-light,mailx,at,fdutils,info,modconf,libident,logrotate,exim"

so that explicitely the packages mentioned in the warning above ar
excluded and I'm wondering if there is any specific reason for
excluding these packages from base.tgz.

Andreas