Ubuntu/Kubuntu and FAI

Andreas Jobs andreas.jobs at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Aug 3 16:34:20 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 02:54:11PM +0200, Andreas Sindermann wrote:
> a) For some reason the grub package is not installed and the
> installation log files (esp. software.log) is not very informative
> why. Effect is that the system is left in an unbootable state at the
> grub> prompt.
>
> b) When entering the needed information (kernel to be used etc) by
> hand at this prompt the system is booting but for whatever reasons in
> a very bad state. It seems that the /dev directory contains only very
> few devices like /dev/sg and things like that. Especially /dev/sd* are
> missing where the system has been installed on.

I had a similar problem. In my case fai wasn't able to update the deb packages
during the installation. First my $FAINFSROOT/etc/apt/sources.list wasn't
pointing to the correct location and during my second try the
"host-to-be-installed" had no access to the mirror (wrong IP configuration; in
my case).

HTH
Andreas

--
! Andreas Jobs                                 Network Operating Center !
!                                              Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum !